Thursday, October 25, 2007

The United States Cycling Hall of Fame (part 1)

It Belongs on Main Street, Somerville.

Our historic entity was grounded on a corner of the Somerville Shopping Center, during the time Pathmark and the old Alfonso's Pizzeria did business there.

It has since been placed in Bridgewater near Patriot's Stadium; now displaced from an address currently renovating.

Someone in California has made a bid to relocate it. To me It is like Cooperstown, NY sold the U.S. Baseball Hall of Fame to Las Vegas, NV. That ain't us far as I've felt. Nor them.

As the story develops, I hope the Mayor and Council, all affiliates, the Main Street New Jersey project and our community will do what it takes to keep the U.S. Cycling Hall of Fame here in Somerville.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Somerville without a Cycling Hall of Fame. Peanut butter and jelly, ham and eggs. Somerville and cycling. Sounds good. The problem is, Somerville doesn't HAVE a Hall of Fame. Most of it's on a road-show. It's had more addresses ( mostly borrowed) than I can remember. The old Cort Theatre, paine Webber, The Pathmark mall, Bridgewater. Is that what we really want? Is that the best way to represent Cycling? If an entity on CA or some other place can do it better, go for it. The board members of the Hall deserve a lot of credit for keeping it going on a shoestring. But the Hall needs a home. It needs permanence and substance. Somerville could do it, but will they? Make it part of the landfill redevelpoment. It's a great piece of land, so make it a stipulation of the deal. But will anyone have the temerity to push it? I dunno. But the situation as it stands, is not viable. I'm not anti-Somerville. In fact, my family has been in Somerville for a century. I owned and or worked Greggs Bike Town for 25 years. I raced, I fixed, I supported any way I could. I had a fairly sizeable part of the Hall in my warehouse for a couple years durng one of the many moves. It was a mixed message when the then manager would send people looking for a particular bicycle down to my shop to see it because the Hall had about 400 sq. ft of space. It's just not good for cycling, and doesn't say much about the committment Somerville has for the Hall. If not for the Herculean efforts of a chosen few, I think the Hall would have vanished entirely. So I say that it's time to do what's right. Build it so they will come, or let someone else do it. Glenn Cole / Bridgewater